Friday, December 26, 2008

A magazine telling me how to live my life...

Hi everyone! I'm back from the shopping spree I told you about in my last blog. umm, I dunno if you can call it a "shopping spree" hence I only spent $13.00 but truly there was nothing appealing enough (on sale of course) that could draw my attention. Well we visited (by we, I mean my sister, bf and his family) a couple of malls and really, today I learned a valuable lesson. I finally confirmed something that, I did discover long ago, but didn't pay much attention to until now. I'm talking about the tremendous influence media (magazines, music & pop culture in general) have over our new generation. Yes, tweens and teens. It was today that I noticed how strongly they are bombarded with all these "suggestions" on how to dress, do hair, what to eat, how to act with friends or relationships and so on.

Take a magazine (I took teen vogue for example). Half of the mag are advertisements! The rest, more adds on where to get the look your fave celebs have, or how to get that "perfect hair or body or whatever" , I'm actually terrified for these kids!

I feel that being an individual is totally out! You must follow to be hit, it , in or whatever. If you lead, if you are you, genuine, true to yourself, you are outcasted; the odd one. Being a teen is a very hard part of life, you are trying to find yourself as an individual but you also want to be accepted. But following some piece of paper, not your heart in the quest for your identity is what worries me.

Today I saw this 13 yr old, telling her mom: " I want these Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses because this mag said they were in style and I don't want my friends to think I can't afford them".
This really scared me. Of course her mom couldn't get them for her, they were on a budget, but the girl kept whining and the mom felt horrible. This way of thinking is what I think is destroying our youth. They are not allowed to think for themselves anymore, they follow what media says, media turns them into the consumers they need to keep the market going. The media doesn't care about the healthy development of a new generation, they just want cash! And they target weak, developing minds to get it!

I really would like it if parents would get involved more in forging stronger self-esteem values in our youth, with this I'm sure no mag can tell them how to live their life and who to be. I know it's hard, economy sucks right now and parents barely have time to cook dinner, but this is why the media is targeting THEM! They know they are unprotected, fragile and they will all come without protest!

We need to save our youth, make them mentally strong. They are beautiful, perfect. Their own style is what makes them special, unique. There is no need to follow, they must feel that they can be who they are and be happy. Beauty is not what you see in those magazine covers, beauty is not to be like who's on t.v. Real Beauty, you do not need to spend loads of money on, you don't need designer clothes or shoes or make-up; you just need to be real, to be true, to be you!

8 comments:

  1. Bravo!
    I was brought up to 'dance to the beat of my own drum' and regard with contempt anyone who tried to tell me what I should do/be/wear/think. It has made me a happier, more self-assured adult (not to mention I have never had, and never will have any type of credit card debt - you buy what you can pay for, right now!!!).
    I'm glad to see other young people who think the same - especially one like yourself whose interested in fashion - you'll have to tread a fine line on this issue in your field!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I have found someone else who sees the same pattern in teens I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you. Also you may notice that ads for drugs are almost every other page in many parenting/baby magazines

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with every word you wrote. IT worries me too. sometimes I think luckily I have a son and not a daughter..
    I was al my teen and tweenty years the odd one and I am still not following any known fashion and I hope my son (and maybe in the future a daughter) will not see me as the odd one but an example of not being a slave of the industry but follow your own style and likes.
    good written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have two daughters, and i hope they grow up to be confident and love themselves for who they are! i agree with you on this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. well said - I find this issue really interesting and am actually doing my final year research project on how female teens shopping habits are affected by celebrities and the media. Cos I do a fashion marketing degree. So I've got a lot to write about :D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was in high school, I had two friends who read fashion mags/teen advice mags all the time, while a third friend and I didn't pay much attention to them. Looking back now, I realize that the two who read the magazines and followed every advice column and article were much less contented than were we two who could have cared less about being "cool." Now, ten years later, the same can still be said. Trying to follow the whims of fashion is folly, IMHO.

    -Rachel Kovaciny
    www.huggermugger.etsy.com
    www.huggermuggerblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

“In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” ~Coco Chanel

);