There are a few tips we can all follow to be able to use skinny pants:
1) Take your time in the dressing room. Try on different brands before buying, remember they are all made with different cuts and patterns so you'll probably find the ideal one for you from trial end error. If skinny pants just don't work for you, choose straight legged jeans for the same look!
2) Choose skinny pants that are dark -if you are a bit round in the hip area. Dark colors have great slimming effects.
3) The pockets must be in the right place, not too high and not to low. If they are, those jeans are just making your behind be more noticeable.
4) Skinny Pants are not to be worn with big sneakers, they will make your feet look huge and out of proportion. Go for Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers, flats, sandals, heels or boots. They will give your leg balance and a nice slimming effect.
5) For tops, choose something baggy and comfy, not tight. You shouldn't wear tight pants and tight shirts at the same time. You can also pair up a cute short dress and wear skinnys instead of leggings, it will give you a totally modern look.
6) Don't get jeans you can't breathe in! What's the point of looking great if you can't feel great.
Hope these tips help you achieve that super hip look you're trying to find and remember, find they style you feel most comfortable with!