Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Fashion 101 -Sweet Dressing Tips for Petite Women!!

Being only 4'11'' tall has it's pros and cons. Pro: you can find cheaper clothes. Con: that is if you can find something to wear that will flatter you. It is the burden us petite girls must carry!

Petite women are those that are 5'4'' or under. Why is it such a pain to dress us? Happens to be that clothing designed for the average sized women (5'6'') just won't fit us and/or will make us look weird. The average sized woman has longer torsos, arms and legs, so us smaller women will look like we were playing dress up in our granny's closet.

Now how should Petites wear their style with pride? Follow these few tips!
  • If you are going for pants, try wearing straight-legged pants/jeans because they elongate your legs and give them a nice shape. Boot-cut and flair pants make a petite woman seem smaller.
  • When dressing never ever wear a big belt on your waist or any garment that cuts you up in half, it will make you look bigger around the waist area and of course shorter.
  • Avoid jackets with big shoulders and over sized and under sized clothing. You need clothes that fit right and accentuate your body properly, not exaggerate any feature.
  • Stay away from calf/ankle length skirts, keep them on or above the knee to give your legs a longer look.
  • If you like heels, go for anything smaller than 3-2 inches. If you wear anything taller that that you just won't have a natural feel or look. Also, pointy shoes are great because the add some kind of visual illusion that grants you some height.
  • Dress monochrome! Ok, not that you'll be dressing in blacks every day, but try to combine your colors so they aren't that far apart, because if you do then you'll be cutting yourself in half and appearing shorter.
  • Vertical lines good, Horizontal Lines bad. Vertical lines add that height visual illusion, the viewer has to look up and down, now with horizontal lines the viewer gets to look side by side and that makes us look wider.
Hope these few tips help out! They are just some ideas I follow when dressing up, for any other occasion I just wear random stuff!
'Til next blog! =)

19 comments:

  1. I'm petite too (just over 5 foot). Good tips. I think petite girls have a lot going for them...too bad most clothing stores don't seem to think so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just given myself over to the alterations guy "sigh" but I love you tips!! Hey come by and enter my giveaway!!

    http://namaste-elsiee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well - we "bigger" women often wish we were petite - I take it back. Who knew you would have so much trouble finding clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the tips, very valuable to us smaller ladies. Also, I think it's really cool you have an anime blog. My favorite is Noir! Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice here. I'm 5'3" myself and more than anything it's about fit, fit, fit. If the clothes fit me properly and I don't feel like they overwhelm my frame, then I'm good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the pic comment, It would appear we have similar addictions ^_^
    Aaa us little ladies, they always say you want want you cant have, but i wouldn't have my figure any other way ...today anyway!, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. great tips!! i'm mini too, 5ft2 so these are really helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm 5'3" and very skinny, so it's always nice to have a little reminder about my wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm also about 5"1 so this is a good reminder ofr me. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for your comment!! your blog is very cute and these tips are very helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. great tips! i'm just shy of 5'2" myself... but i'm so hippy that i feel i SHOULD have a flare in jeans... you think even with heeled boots it still makes me look shorter? even straight legs make me feel like my saddlebags are all anyone can see :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. great tips! most of these i knew already! not even 4'8" myself i need all the help i can get! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tips! I'm only 5 foot, and I've noticed a lot of the things you mentioned, like the way belts make me look weirdly proportioned.

    And today I wore a calf-length skirt, and I was like "Well, doesn't this make my legs look stubby!" lol I wore it anyway though and risked looking midget-ey, it's too cute to not wear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm average but I liked reading and gleaning information about the list in this post! It's really interesting :D

    Asia has lots of petite women by this standards and so finding fitting clothes shouldn't be a problem here... in fact I'd say we're experiencing the opposite! My friend who's 5'9" is still searching for jeans long enough for her >_<

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't realize I was petite... I'm 5"3' & I always used to be the tall onein my early teens, but now i'm the small one out of my friends.
    But I don't feel petite. Great tips, your blog is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice Article.. thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is totally late...but as a fellow 4'11" petite, thanks for posting these tips! I have one more to add...find a great tailor! It will seriously change your life.

    ReplyDelete

“In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” ~Coco Chanel

);