Petite women are those that are 5'4'' or under. Why is it such a pain to dress us? Happens to be that clothing designed for the average sized women (5'6'') just won't fit us and/or will make us look weird. The average sized woman has longer torsos, arms and legs, so us smaller women will look like we were playing dress up in our granny's closet.
Now how should Petites wear their style with pride? Follow these few tips!
- If you are going for pants, try wearing straight-legged pants/jeans because they elongate your legs and give them a nice shape. Boot-cut and flair pants make a petite woman seem smaller.
- When dressing never ever wear a big belt on your waist or any garment that cuts you up in half, it will make you look bigger around the waist area and of course shorter.
- Avoid jackets with big shoulders and over sized and under sized clothing. You need clothes that fit right and accentuate your body properly, not exaggerate any feature.
- Stay away from calf/ankle length skirts, keep them on or above the knee to give your legs a longer look.
- If you like heels, go for anything smaller than 3-2 inches. If you wear anything taller that that you just won't have a natural feel or look. Also, pointy shoes are great because the add some kind of visual illusion that grants you some height.
- Dress monochrome! Ok, not that you'll be dressing in blacks every day, but try to combine your colors so they aren't that far apart, because if you do then you'll be cutting yourself in half and appearing shorter.
- Vertical lines good, Horizontal Lines bad. Vertical lines add that height visual illusion, the viewer has to look up and down, now with horizontal lines the viewer gets to look side by side and that makes us look wider.
'Til next blog! =)