Sunday, June 7, 2009

How to make an easy Hippie Headband out of a T-shirt (DIY tutorial)

Hi everyone! Being bored at home this weekend gave me some ideas that I just had to try out. I've been wanting to make hippie headbands for a while but as I am a tad broke and scarce in faux suede, I decided to look around my room for substitutes. So, all you recycling and reusing fans (me included) we'll use a forgotten t-shirt to make one!

Here are the materials you'll need:

An old t-shirt (I'm using a really old 4th of July shirt)
Scissors
A big heavy book
Any beads you'd like to have in it

Cut 3 strands of about 1/2 an inch (or as thick as you'd like your band to be)
Take all the strands and cut them (you should have 3 really long strands after this step)
Tie a knot on one side to gather all the strands together.
And start to braid! If you want beads in your band, just loop them through one strand and keep braiding. PS: that is what the heavy book is for XD

Tie a knot at the end (but wrap it around your head and check if it fits) And Voila! You have a new hippie headband to match with your boho summer trends!

26 comments:

  1. nice! now i know what to do with all my old tshirts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great DIY! I'll try to make headband to in this holiday :)

    xoxo,
    littlemissfhenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, my friend wears those. Definitely going to show this to her :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you clever...great step by step instructions and pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome awesome post! I love hippie headbands!

    xoxo
    Cesc

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool DIY! I love how it's braided.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's cool!! Will have to send the link to my 19 year old son who thinks he's growing his hair. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very neat! Thanks so much for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too funny! My dad grabs any scrap of fabric and puts on of these one before doing yard work of any kind. It's very amusing to see my old pops wearing a bath robe belt around the forehead! Thanks for sharing a far more fashionable version of the headband!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh jeez I'm always tying fabric around my head, ever since I was a child, and I've no clue where it came from either. Mmm odd?
    Love this hun!
    PeAce & BoWs...
    prettyneOns x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so wish that I were hippie enough to rock this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow thanks for the instructions. I'll be sure to make one soon, hopefully it will look as pretty as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. man thats a good idea for people who aint got much money and who love to recycle there things cuz i sure do! but its a wonderful idea u r a smart girl.. nice work man peace...

    ReplyDelete
  16. thats a cool idea i've always loved the way hippie head bands look but never had the time to make thanks i will try this =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. we're having a hippie day at school thanks soo much :)it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha now i know what to do with my useless pieces of clothes (: cuuutee!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks a lot it was a great guide, now to make an easy hippie headband out of a t-shirt (diy tutorial) is without a doubt very easy with your information. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

“In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” ~Coco Chanel

);