Sunday, June 14, 2009

Why do guys wear Ties? - Fashion History of the Tie and some tips

A Little History: The tie concept has been with us for more than 2000 years. In China, warriors would wear a special silk cord around their necks that enhanced their social status. Croatian mercenaries wore kerchiefs in bright colors also around their necks; later on because of the 30 Year War and the recruiting of Croatian soldiers, the tie was brought to France and received a name: the Cravat. The tie grew so popular that even King Louis XIV appointed an official tie maker and tier, and by the 17th century the trend had reached all Europe. In the 20th century, a tailor named Jesse Langsdorf designed what we know as the modern tie, with a 45 degree angle cut that has excellent drape and elasticity.

Now, how to use a tie? In our era now both men and women wear ties to add flair, sophistication and status to their attires. Of course woman's ties are thinner than men ties, to add that extra touch of delicacy. We can team them up with casual, formal or work attire, there is no restrictions! There are many different types of knots for different types of tie length, but they all add a singular feel to an outfit.So, do you rock ties??
Ah, a little reminder to join my Gossip headband giveaway, it ends on the 26th of June!

21 comments:

  1. I am dying to recreate that Blake Lively look - tie and all. I have never worn a tie myself, but this post makes me want to add one to my wardrobe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably a good thing that I'm not a guy...I would probably wear the ugliest ties ever...the funny ones are what I'm always drawn to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think both boy and girl are okay with ties. :) leighton meester is such a sweetlooking babe!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I love ties :D
    and I love guys with ties ahah
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, we should open up a tie fan club!

    And Rita, I love guys with ties too! XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. leighton meester is ROCKING that tie, i think i like skinny-style ties, if that makes any sense =_="

    and thanks for the well wishing, so nice of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to wear ties in highschool. Not many girls did and I don't know why I did. One outfit would be a black button up dress shirt with a red plaid tie. I also wore a kitty collar ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post! I think I like ties better on woman than on men!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for checking out my blog - im loving yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love ties as a fashion statement, but it's too punk or prep for my look...

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks :D yees it's perfect now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wanted to wear a tie, but I'm not sure I could pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Annie Hall look with a tie. Thanks for posting this info - I was always curious about WHY THE HECK guys wear ties.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great feature!

    i've awarded you a lovely blog award... see the details here :D

    http://thriftystylist.blogspot.com/2009/06/thanks-to-emilys-box-of-fun.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you very much for your comment and invitation! i love gossip girl, the new season starts again today overhere!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ever the favourite girl of American culture, Gosspi Girl would approve of women wearing ties. How can men compete???

    ReplyDelete
  17. there is something so sexy about men in a suit with a tie that stands out i think all women are drawn to it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why is it ok for women to wear ties like men, but not for men to wear skirts? Women wear alot of men's fashions or male style clothes - just odd.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The girl who wear in yellow is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Guys wear ties because they look good in them plus it makes them look presentable when they wear it at work or when they wear it at formal functions...

    company ties

    ReplyDelete

“In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” ~Coco Chanel

);