Friday, September 4, 2009

You're so Complicated!!!

Why'd you have to go and make things so complicated?

Definitely, Avril Lavigne is one of the starts that most influenced my early music and style back in my teen years. Growing up, I remember dressing all skater-like, wearing heavy, black eye makeup and rocking out with a guitar everywhere I went (not that I don't do that anymore, lol).

Just as I have grown up, so has she and her style and music sense with her. I recently read about her new fashion line (Abbey Dawn) and perfume (Black Star) and just had to write about her here. The interview's from Teen Vogue's Eva Chen. I'm posting some of the questions here, but if you'd like to check out the rest of the interview, I'm linking to it at the bottom of the page. Which was more enjoyable, designing your clothing line or doing the fragrance?
I really liked both. They're so different, but exciting because they're new to me--I got to expand and be creative and visual, which was really fun. With the fragrance you have to work with ingredients, which is different from fashion. The fragrance has a message, which is to be your own star, to reach for the stars and believe your own dreams. I created it all around that message and I even wrote a song around it. With clothing line you're expressing yourself through your own style, it's a whole totally different thing!

How do you feel your personal style has changed over the years, and how would you describe it?
When I was younger, I was little more skater: more tomboy, no dresses or heels. Now that I'm grown up I have more fun with fashion, I like to wear more dresses and be a little more feminine. I have fun with fashion and I'm passionate about it.

Which was your favorite album to work on?
They've all been really different. The first one I had no idea what would end up happening! The third was a lot of fun, and a lot of goofing around. It was all about guitars and energy and rocking out! The one I'm working on now is about catching the vibe of the song and the vocal performance, so it's different in that sense. This is probably the most chill record yet.
So, any of you guys out there used to rock to Avril's tunes and do that heavy eye make up that would make your moms go into a never ending rant?
*check out the rest of the interview here*
=)

27 comments:

  1. I used to like Avril's stuff, but a while back I stopped.

    I am very much in the way too much black eye make up stage, but I do mine differently. I just have heavy, but crisp lines, all around, with no smudging. Usually. It varies day to day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Avril back in the day! Her music basically sums up my middle school years. lol

    I did go through a heavy black eye makeup phase back in the 9th grade, when I first started wearing makeup. I was horrible at applying shadow at first, so I'd just smudge black alllll over and try to make it "smokey." I've improved since then, but I still love to wear loads of eyeliner and black/silver shadow. Just in a less messy way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bf loves her! lol

    I like her songs and her new style is nice too. She looks prettier I think!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh she is and was amazing but now ahe looks prettier!
    great syle too
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new Avril's look, but I prefer the old Avril's music. She's definitely blossomed into someone with a great sense of style.

    xoxo
    Cesc

    ReplyDelete
  6. i definitely been influenced by Avril Lavigne's girly punk ever since i was younger too!! and Thank You so much for the Happy Birthday <3

    i don't study textiles so i'm not able to go into that sort of career :) my main aim is a communications course, which is creative too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahah I used to like avril too in my teen years! and wearing punk clothes, black eye makeup ans guitar...
    She looks lovely now! But i still prefer her old musics!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer her old music but she does look better now I think. And wow I want to see her fashion line :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i prefer her old music O_O I think sucks know XDD.. but her style its very cool, always punk-glam fashion, something like that!! i want to smell the perfum ejejeje
    bye

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know guys, I love her old music best. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. I LOVE your blog, seriously... It is SO cool to find OTHER designers out there blogging. I'm a designer too, darling.

    2. Oh gosh, did you just say the 'A' word???
    Her old songs were no where near half as bad as the new ones.
    The 'Boyfriend' song literally drove my psychotic a few summers last... Because it was blasted all over the New Zealand radio, for months!!

    XXOX DAKOTA

    ReplyDelete
  12. cool interview. i like her first songs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i used to love her - i think she has lost it a bit now though xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I was too old for little Avril. She did clean up darn good as a bride though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved her early music. I bought her first 2 albums, and knew all the lyrics to most of the songs, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. she is very beautiful!!
    xxx
    http://zebratrash.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like her songs and her makeup (fierce eyes!) but have only ever tried to sing along to them at karaoke even though her range is pretty wide for me XD I really like her recent look; it's really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved her so much when I was 10! Now I'm not really into her music, but it's interesting to see how her style has progressed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel so old (I'm only 23 but I do feel old lol) I was already into rock music when she came along but I got it and understood why she was such a hit, Shes a great idol for younger girls. The Gwen if you like for another generation of feisty females which can only be a good thing.

    I had no clue she has a fashion line nor perfume, so thanks I'm going to have a looksee for sure as I quite like her style.

    PeAce & Rock & RoLl ...hehe (:

    Prettyneons X

    ReplyDelete
  20. great post! I love Avril's evolving style, loved her wedding dress, was beautiful! Good news you won a custom made felt brooch on my blog giveaway!:) if you could email me your full address and if you would like a cupcake or a heart and what colour i will start making it!
    ps ive got some pics up of my trip to Paris! check them out when uve time :)
    magpie-girl.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. heh, i used to rock out to her music. She was a god send when I was 14 and an angry little miss :D I still love my dark eye liner :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. she looks much better when shes dressed femininely .. and dresses her age

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello, your blog is gorgeous!
    I adore looking back on past inspirations and it shows how much I have changed

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Avril have great music :)
    She have a punk style but i think he elegante style look as good on her :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. avril is great ! love her music . and her taste of fashion is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love Avril, she has always had great music and I love the pink in her hair, so fun! I wonder when she is coming out with a new album?

    Thanks for the good wishes on my race, it went well! Did you get lots of homework done and get to sing? Hope so - have a great week love!

    ReplyDelete

“In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” ~Coco Chanel

);