Saturday, October 10, 2009

Bibs are not for Kids!

Yay! For the First time ever on Diary of a Young Designer, we have a guest blogger! Abby from Abazias will be giving us some pointers on how to use bib necklaces to make your outfit scream look at me!

Bibs Aren't Just For Children Anymore

Bib necklaces are getting a lot of wear recently. Eva Mendes showed up at the Golden Globes earlier this year with a stunning turquoise and diamond bib necklace, four tiers long! Even if celebrities weren't wearing these necklaces, they make a great statement piece of jewelry for anyone's jewelry box. They are exotic and elegant or bold and brassy, take your pick. If you've not tried a bib necklace before, you're in for a treat. Anyone can wear them and they come in all styles and sizes. It is definitely on the list of must-have accessories for 2009.

How to Wear a Bib Properly

A bib necklace is not like other necklaces. It is made to wear flat against the nape of the neck and typically, it works best against bare skin. Even though you can wear this style with a T-shirt as well as an evening gown, you want to make sure the cut of the neckline suitably frames the necklace for the best effect. If you want to be more casual, you can get the simplest T-shirt out there that lies flat against the neckline and then put the necklace on top. Just make sure it lies flat to get the look.

What Are Bibs Made Of?

Here's where you can definitely have some fun with your bib necklaces. You can get some costume jewelry ones with large beads in tiers. You can get some with large floral motifs. If you want to be more elegant, get some with gold, diamonds, or other precious stones. There really is not a single material that works the best with a bib, as long as it is tiered and lies somewhat flat against the skin, you can have a show piece made from shells, if that appeals to you.

18 comments:

  1. congratulations, I really liked this blog post!

    I'm not sure how I feel about bib necklaces. DO I like them? DO they look good on me? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I LOVE bib necklaces... I just did an editorial where I used some exciting bibs including ones from Marni and Lee Angel. So haute! I love that one in the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is really inspirng :D!! love the necklaces you featured , especially that last sparkly one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would totally wear one :D

    i seen similiar designs in the shops some time ago ^^

    I dun really like wearing jewlery tbh though XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this type of necklaces although every time I try one, It doesn´t fit me. I will follow your advice. Thanks.
    xoxo
    B* a la Moda

    ReplyDelete
  6. brilliant post!! you are always so original! I just love your blog :) bad news your cupcake brooch got sent back to me in the post saying return to sender? So i have posted it through my work, by franking it so hopefully fingers crossed you will get it this time!! better late than never i hope!! :) sorry!!
    magpie-girl.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love bib necklaces ^^
    very inspiring post ;)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice post! I like the one in the last pic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these necklaces, so pretty and very artistic! Nice guest post. XO!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the second picture! The first one looks really heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay so you've got me convinced, a bib necklace is definitely on my shopping list now. Also I just wanted to say that I totally miss you! I actually just broke up with my boyfriend of 3 1/2 years so I've been having a hard time but I'm doing alright and now that things have calmed down a little I'm able to get back to blogging. I just wanted to say thanks for continuing to comment even when I've disappeared. I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, i love all of them!
    excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that first necklace, maybey I can make something like that myself...

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cute idea bibs for adults :D

    love the last one :D

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. definately inspiring me to try this trend out! Those photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. no! they aren't! I love them! :)
    xxx
    thanks for leaving a comment
    B

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi Sophie,

    i'm impressed with this post. i'd never have figured that out.. probably cos i never gave accessories much time :P i'm fussy and when i'm not sure, i'd rather be plain jane.

    i hear you about your job hunt. that post is but a mere fraction of what the writer offers in his book. i'm not sure if you'd wanna buy the book at your local bookstore. mine's the 08 edition. wishing you all the best in your continued search.

    ReplyDelete
  18. agh bib necklaces are so amazing! as soon as i have some time, i'm going to go about trying to create one myself... thanks for posting this!

    lauren
    www.papergownfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

“In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” ~Coco Chanel

);