Thursday, October 22, 2009

Recessionista 101: how to be a better recessionista

The term Recessionista is a blend of the words Recession and Fashionista; two words that we are totally familiar with and that were totally against each other until these recent times. A recessionista is that who strives to maintain stylish and fashionable in tough economic times, a.k.a. me, and most probably all of you out there.

These hard times of job shortages and financial crisis have forced us fashion and style lovers to morph into these deal - hunting zombies to stay afloat and dress decently (and have cash left over to pay our college debts).

So, there are a few ideas that we can incorporate to our shopping routines that can save us some cash and make us better recessionistas:

1. Shop for what you wear the most.

If you are a jeans lover, get lots of different tops, tunics and blouses to mix and match. You can have only one pair of jeans and be able to fix up hundreds of different looks. It's not worth it to buy a garment you will only wear once just because it's on sale.

2. If it's still good, give it a new look
!
If you have a garment that is still in great condition and want to give it a new look, try dying it a different color. Or even better, give it a different cut or paint on it; be creative! Or if you are dying for that new military jacket at a boutique and will never in this lifetime (at least right now) be able to afford it; bring out your winter coat/jacket and change the buttons!

3. If you're buying something expensive, make sure it's a classic.

If you are ready to cough up and splurge it all in one piece, lets say a Chanel bag, make sure that piece will go with your style and anything you might wear. That way you have an excellent quality piece that will last you a lifetime.

4. Be yourself, not a mannikin.
Try to skip trends as much as possible; it's smarter to work on your signature style best, since all that is popular now probably won't be the next season, so you'd be spending your cash in vain.

I hope these tips help you all out some way or another. I know they have helped me keep my closet happy. =)


What do you guys do to deal with the recession and be awesome recessionistas?

24 comments:

  1. Etsy.com rocks for awesome stuff!! Plus I am always scouring budget conscious fashion blogs! Now all I need to do is learn to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need to go through my closet and re-do EVERYTHING! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. anything you can sew/knit/make yourself in anyway-do it
    cute
    i need to do some more how-tos on my blog
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Post! I am a self confessed budgeter. :) I only allow myself $150 per week- 'clothes allowance'. If I under spend the left over $$ will go to next week. I also work in retail so therefore get a nice discount on clothes, which helps with my 'clothes allowance'. hehe.

    However, if there is something I desperately need/ want.... well... I guess I could bend the rules a bit. :D

    Also there is always a great feeling you get (or maybe its just me) when I find something awesome on sale. :) Happy shopping!

    Annaliese xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thrift stores, thrift stores, and more thrift stores!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post! :)
    I haven't shopped in SO long, and because of that, I've been forced to put together new looks! Piles of clothes on the floor stop building up, and pieces from the back of the closet come out!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is just in time !! I always tend to over spend on shopping. So I really enjoyed all these tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. fab post, love the dying tip! i shop alot at thrift stores as well, it's alot more fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! you finally got your cupcake! i hope its still in one piece and didnt get crushed on the journey! so glad you like it :)
    Hope you have a great weekend!

    magpie-girl.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. thrift shops are the best! You can get some amazing outfits from there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with no. 4! Been guilty of that, and I always end up not wearing what I've got because it doesn't suit me. Impulse buying because it was THE trend.

    Anyway, thanks for dropping by my page and I hope you'll have a nice day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, those are so good advices!!
    I normally customiced my clothes if it can be used but is old-fashioned; buy good things on second hand shops and if I can sew something by myself, I do it...!

    ReplyDelete
  13. its gets tough now adys to limit my spending and still feel like a style blogger ... i always think oh man i want to buy something new for the blog :(
    blogging has not been kind to mywallet

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic tips! As a stay at home mom, I'm sad to say I'm not the picture of fashion :( I've been working out a lot, so I'm constantly stuck in workout clothes. I guess I should try harder!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Couldn't agree more darlin and I am finding most of my money goes to eating out...I am trying to fix that by buying more groceries!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My dad calls me a "frugalista" because I always buy my clothes at very cheap prices. So the recession hasn't affected my style too much, but I love your tips!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!
    girlwiththebowtie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not to follow trends is always good, you keep your own hip personality!

    ReplyDelete
  18. great advice

    I normally try and revamp clothing too ^^

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am by far a big fan of thrifting. Not only can you get quirky, fun items to liven up an outfit, but you can stock up on classics and basic pieces for dirt cheap!

    I also like to give items I'm on the fence about a second chance. I try to think of a new way to wear them and go from there. Also, I like your note about dying garments to give them new life. I've been thinking about doing that with a certain shirt I have.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this post! You've made some excellent points on cultivating a personal style, regardless of income. I agree with the idea of eschewing trends as well. =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. h&m, forever21, the gap and urban outfitters SALE are the places i go to for cheap pretty stuff

    ReplyDelete
  22. Always go to sales first and then if I don't find anything there I'll go around the store, but always keeping on mind my budget and what I really need.

    ReplyDelete

“In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” ~Coco Chanel

);